|The Beverage-Coaster Treehouse Board Game|
|Players:||2 - 6|
|Trios per color:||1|
|Number of colors:||1 per player|
|Monochr. stashes:||1 per player|
|- - - - - - Other equipment - - - - - -|
|Six-sided die, Treehouse die, Looney Ludo boards or Martian Coasters|
|Setup time:||1 minute|
|Playing time:||5 - 10 minutes|
|Game mechanics:||Dynamic board, Stacking|
|BGG Link:||Martian Coasters|
|Status: Complete (v1.0), Year released: 2006|
Description[edit | edit source]
Martian Coasters (also known as Looney Ludo) is a race game using a Treehouse set and four special coasters. Players roll dice (one d6 and 1 Treehouse die) and maneuver their trio toward a goal point, and have the opportunity to manipulate board segments along the way. The first person to assemble their pyramids into a nest on their goal wins.
This game works with either a Xeno or a Rainbow treehouse set, since the colors of the coasters correspond to a Rainbow set and the arrows on the coasters correspond to a Xeno set, meaning either color set would work (custom sets of icehouse pieces not based on either of these color schemes, however, might have some trouble).
Setup[edit | edit source]
Use 4, 5, or 6 Looney Ludo boards and arrange them in one of patterns shown below depending on the number of players.
|Setup for 2, 3, or 4 players|
|Setup for 5 players|
|Setup for 6 players|
History[edit | edit source]
Martian Coasters was published by Looney Labs in November 2006.
Giant Martian Coasters is a proposed game for Origins 2007.
The first edition of Martian Coasters came with 4 boards, and supported only 4 players. A 5th board, the Black Martian Coaster, was available as a promo in 2006.
The version in Pyramid Arcade is renamed Looney Ludo. It was renamed because the boards in Pyramid Arcade aren't coasters, and won't last long if you use them as such. This version has 6 boards (4 of which have a second color on the back) and supports up to 6 players.
Designed by Andrew Looney, 2006.
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Official Looney Labs web page
- Martian Coasters for sale at the Looney Labs store.
- Looney Labs rules PDF with print-your-own coasters.
- Original Wunderland Martian Coasters web page.
- Martian Coasters is listed on BoardGameGeek.
- The 2006 promo coaster for five-player games.
- For a 6-player game of Martian Coasters, there is an unofficial a template on two A3 pages that needs the 2006 promo coaster above and uses a "virtual coaster" printed on the page. The game is played as if you're on a cube (it wraps around the edges, hopping is not allowed) and is available as a PDF here.
- GUIDED TOUR: a video introduction to Martian Coasters.
- SAMPLE GAME: on YouTube
- RULES Q&A: Andy's video about Martian Coaster Separation Anxiety
|Featured in Pyramid Primer|
|IceDice · Treehouse · Pharaoh · Pikemen|
|Launchpad 23 · Black ICE · Zark City · Caldera|
|Martian Chess · Martian Coasters · World War 5|
|IceTowers · Homeworlds|